CD launch SLOWWWWwwwwww

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:27:01 EDT 2006

Stu,

As far as I know, this is a Windows bug in Win 98/Me. It has nothing
to do with your application. I'm guessing your exe is on the root of
the CD? Try placing it inside a folder and see if that helps.

Chris

On Jul 11, 2006, at 7:45 PM, <revolution at duncansoftware.com>
<revolution at duncansoftware.com> wrote:

> The program is about 1.8 MB for Windows. I use the same machine
> (swap boot drives)
> to test on WinXP, Win2000, WinME, and Win98. It is my low end test
> machine, a
> Pentium 3 with 384 Megs of RAM. When the program (it is simply a
> launcher for
> another program) runs from the hard drive, it completes running in
> 3 to 5 seconds
> on any of these setups. So, the code isn't running slowly. When I
> run it from a CD
> it might take 10-15 seconds on WinXP or Win2000(CD drive spun down
> at start). But
> on WinME it is taking 80 to 90 seconds to load and run. The CD is
> the same for all
> configurations and this drive can download an 8 MB file to the hard
> drive in 6
> seconds from a spun down start. I placed some test code in the
> application to see
> if the code was running slowly on WinME at some point. The code
> didn't start
> running for 80 seconds. Any ideas on how I can get this to launch
> faster?
>
> Stu

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally