Dependence on Programming Experts

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Wed Jul 12 05:25:22 EDT 2006

>On Jul 11, 2006, at 10:02 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>>The other issue is regarding maintenance and readability for OTHER
>>programmers. If there's this arcane 'other' way of doing something, it
>>may make it more difficult.
>
>But this is a case where the syntax exist with Rev NOW, but not
>within this context.
>
>It is REALLY at odds with itself when...
>
>local x = 5 // is legal, and perfectly normal
>x = 5 // is not, and is an unthinkable construction

Not really at odds. Within the local statement, the equal holds
always since only string or number can be on the right side. In the
latter case, it would be an operator which can have any expression on
the right.

In terms of implementation, the former is fairly trivial but the
latter would require quite a big change in the parser logic, me
thinks.

Robert