CD launch SLOWWWWwwwwww

revolution at duncansoftware.com revolution at duncansoftware.com
Tue Jul 11 21:45:20 EDT 2006

The program is about 1.8 MB for Windows. I use the same machine (swap boot drives)
to test on WinXP, Win2000, WinME, and Win98. It is my low end test machine, a
Pentium 3 with 384 Megs of RAM. When the program (it is simply a launcher for
another program) runs from the hard drive, it completes running in 3 to 5 seconds
on any of these setups. So, the code isn't running slowly. When I run it from a CD
it might take 10-15 seconds on WinXP or Win2000(CD drive spun down at start). But
on WinME it is taking 80 to 90 seconds to load and run. The CD is the same for all
configurations and this drive can download an 8 MB file to the hard drive in 6
seconds from a spun down start. I placed some test code in the application to see
if the code was running slowly on WinME at some point. The code didn't start
running for 80 seconds. Any ideas on how I can get this to launch faster?

Stu