[OT] Market Share

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sun Jul 9 20:11:46 EDT 2006

That may be the developers view - what about the users?

I am not a professional developer, and as a user (I have 10.4 on a PB
for personal stuff, 10.3 on a 7 year old 350Mhz G3 that runs as a
print server and other things, and 10.2 on a dual G4 that runs my
music stuff) I have not found anything that I use to be fraught in
any way...perhaps the developers who make the software I use have
torn their hair out, but I paid what they asked so it's really not my
problem.

Nor have I had to upgrade any of my software or peripherals to
accomodate OS releases, though I am about to upgrade the G4 to OS
10.4 as some new (non-apple) software I'm getting requires it. Having
said that, I've generaly avoided the bleeding edge, and I tend to
only upgrade anything when there is a fairly compelling reason to,
like some new feature that I might actually use :)

I think Apple have always focused on the user experience, perhaps at
the expense of the developer experience - and I hope they continue
to. (This is not to suggest that MS don't, I'm sure they do, but I've
never used windows seriously, so I really can't say anything useful
about it).

Best,

Mark