no matches... anyone got a light?

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Fri Jul 7 11:16:43 EDT 2006

This seems a no-brainer but I've stalled.  I'm reading names from a
text file and then creating files based on these names.  I'd like to
check and see if the file already exists before creating a new one.
The text files were created in BBEdit.  I unable to figure out why I
can't cause a match using my data.  I've looked at the variables in
the debugger and even run charToNum comparisons ( everyone seems to
be using the ascii 10 LF.)  But even though it seem like it should
match... it don't.

  if tName is among the lines of tPreExisitingFiles then
       -- never gets here
  end if

alternately I tried

set the wholematches to true
if lineOffset(tName,tPreExisitingFiles) <> 0 then
       -- never gets here
end if

Anything else I should  check?

-Scott Morrow