Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Fri Jul 7 02:17:19 EDT 2006

On Friday 07 July 2006 05:11, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> While I don't normally have much respect for RB marketing resources,
> SUSE makes a lot of sense.
>
> This set of videos shows a seriousness about usability not often found
> in other distros:
> <http://www.novell.com/video/desktop/>
>
> Sure, half of that is just OS X knockoffs, but if you're going to steal
> ideas they might as well steal good ones. :)
>
> Favoring Novell also returns a favor to the Rev community:  Novell has
> published a series of articles about using Rev on SUSE:
> <http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/14961.html>
> <http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/1631.html>
> <http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1863.html>

I'd agree that SuSE is one of the better commercial options. If you are
installing office wide and need something well supported, this is a great
option. Novell really do seem to be going in the right direction here.

I have 4 people in my office working productively on SuSE desktops, and all
coming from low computer literacy backgrounds. SuSE is one of the first
distros to get to the stage where I would let people loose on it and expect
to get productive work "just done".

> Who knows?  If enough of us pool our resources maybe we can push SUSE
> enough to kill off most of the others, ultimately benefiting everyone....

Disagree with that. Choice is what makes Linux strong. What you should hope
for is greater standards compliance across all the Linux families and desktop
types...

--
Rishi Viner