Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Jul 6 19:00:24 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

 >I wonder whether their embedded browser (like altBrowser) now
 >> works without tweaking in my Ubuntu Linux?
 >>
 >> I DO hope that Rev are not going to miss the boat AGAIN!!

Lynn Fredricks wrote:

Hi Bob,

Im not sure what you are asking here. Do you want Runtime to only test
with one version of Linux? That is the only thing guaranteed by REAL's
support SUSE in the press release.

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure what you are asking either. If you are referring to what I
said at the beginning of the thread, I would certainly not want Rev to
test on only one version of Linux. However, what I did suggest was
special attention to a restricted set of Linuxes (for various technical
reasons), at least at the moment.

What I was referring to in the sentences you quoted was the complete
unavailability of altBrowser for Linux. Half a yonk ago (that word
again), I asked Rev to fix this, since I needed it desperately. I was
told that special changes to Rev were required so that Altuit could
produce it, but that such changes would be made in the not-too-distant
future. However, it turns out that the situation of altBrowser for Linux
is not too different to the "Coming soon" of #2.7: it all depends on
what you mean by "soon"! As an ordinary Studio user, I have no ET for
the appearance of 2.7, and I certainly have no idea whether when it does
eventually appear it will include the changes required for altBrowser,
whether the necessary specialFolderPath functions will be implemented,
etc. In other words, Rev has kept me (us) completely in the dark. I am
not happy as a result.

As for the sentence about Rev missing the boat, what I meant was that
just as Rev failed to scoop up great numbers of VB6 orphans (of which I
am one), it seems that they are also failing to satisfy their users
requiring an embedded browser (in stark contrast to Realbasic). Note too
that this question has a direct relationship with recent discussions on
the UR-List regarding the use of the Internet, multimedia delivery,
embedding Rev stacks in browsers, etc. The only difference is that the
provision of an altBrowser-type embedded browser is much more fundamental.

Regarding Realbasic's support of SUSE, I am not yet in a position to
give an opinion on whether it is a good or a bad thing. What I do know
regarding their embedded browser (called "HTMLview") is that not only is
it guaranteed to work on SUSE, it also works great on my (unsupported)
Ubuntu. That's 100% better than I can do with Rev at the moment.

If on the other hand you could give us SOME kind of good news regarding
this browser issue in Linux, I would be very grateful. Being kept in the
dark like this causes a lot of suffering.

Regards,
Bob