Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 6 15:11:06 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Just after starting this thread, I received the following news. I am
> mentioning it because it seems to correspond exactly to my idea of
> selecting a single distro (or small range of distros) for Rev's "seal of
> approval" in order to be more practical:

>   AUSTIN, Texas, USA (July 6, 2006) — REAL Software, Inc., provider of
> REALbasic, cross-platform that really works, announced today that
> REALbasic 2006 Release 3 for Linux is available now. In addition to the
> over 100 features and fixes that have been added, REALbasic 2006 Release
> 3 for Linux has been specifically tested and optimized for use with SUSE
> Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell.

While I don't normally have much respect for RB marketing resources,
SUSE makes a lot of sense.

This set of videos shows a seriousness about usability not often found
in other distros:
<http://www.novell.com/video/desktop/>

Sure, half of that is just OS X knockoffs, but if you're going to steal
ideas they might as well steal good ones. :)

Favoring Novell also returns a favor to the Rev community:  Novell has
published a series of articles about using Rev on SUSE:
<http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/14961.html>
<http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/1631.html>
<http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1863.html>

Given all of these factors, I would whole-heartedly support a move by
RunRev to target SUSE as the Linux for the most polished deployment
(appearances, specialFolderPath, and other things we could use).

If RunRev jumps on this idea I would definitely do a "SUSE-First"
initiative for my own Linux releases.

Who knows?  If enough of us pool our resources maybe we can push SUSE
enough to kill off most of the others, ultimately benefiting everyone....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation