Possible New Book Titles

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Jul 6 05:33:02 EDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 23:33:06 -0700, "Dan Shafer"
<revolutionary.dan at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I'm trying to figure out the best next subject on which to
> produce a
> SmartEBook eBooklet. The following topics remain on my list and are
> candidates based on the relatively small likelihood that
> fundamental changes
> in Rev will obsolete them in the next year. I'd be interested in
> votes,
> feedback, other suggestions, etc.
>
> * Script-based commands
>
> Edit script, editscript, wait, do, scriptlimits, text/font related
> properties, insert script, remove script, start using
>
> * The Message Box
>
> Examination of all panes, properties, uses of the Message Box
>
> * Debugging strategies and techniques
>
> * Parameters, Variables and Values in Transcript
>
> * Building and Deploying Standalones

Hi Dan

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I agree with others that
debugging is a very interesting topic. I've written a lot of Rev code
but I have never got beyond the simplest debugging tools, because I
never seem to have time to experiment with what's on offer,
particularly in the 'Development' menu of the RunRev IDE. An eBooklet
would help get round this, and I'd certainly buy it.

I'm also keen on the Standalones idea, particularly if it addresses
the issue of platform-specific quirks and difficulties - at least for
Mac and PC (sorry, Richmond).

This also leads me to suggest an eBooklet dedicated to cross-platform
issues such as fonts (and font sizes), menus, OS pitfalls and the
like: the aim would be to guide people trying to produce a single
code base for a multi-platform app, and would cover stuff like why
and where to put conditional code which queries which OS the prog is
running in, etc.

HTH

Graham
(just off to buy your booklet on Printing)