Dependence on Programming Experts

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Jul 5 19:40:51 EDT 2006

Hi Greg,

You're right... but, the truth is I don't know of an easier programming
language (or I'd probably be using it).

It seems there is an inescapable continuum between "ease of use" and
"power" -- to use two inexact terms -- when it comes to computers. You can
have an "appliance" that you just turn on and it "works" or you can have the
hobby kit that you have to build from transistors, wire, and knobs on up.
But it's rare that you can find both.

*Some* of the things you want are out there. A good example is progress
bars. In the "olde days" of HyperCard we had to build them ourselves. In
Revolution, there are built-in progress bars that mimic the operating
system's standard look and feel. And recently, Scott Rossi introduced a
package of really fancy "photo-realistic" progress bars that look like
nothing ordinary.

Now, you don't need to know everything there is to know about transcript in
order to use Rossi's gizmos. But it helps if you want to customize them.

Another good thing about Rev is that you can just do a few things at a time.
You don't have to learn the whole thing at once. But yes... if you want to
write a complete video game or alternative user interface you'll need to
gain knowledge and experience. The good news: It's definitely possible to
create those things using Revolution.

I have three super-thick (500+ pages) books on JavaScript. None of them make
that language any easier, but at least I can find lots of examples and
explanations. There aren't so many books about Revolution, but there are
many good example stacks and resources.

I think you'll find that mastering programming is an endeavor that will help
discipline your thinking in other areas of life. Programming works from the
general to the specific. You take the vision in your head, translate it to
processes and presentation, then break those down into component procedures.
You analyze the procedures for things that can generalized and re-used. You
optimize for speed and resource usage. You test and debug and correct your
algorithms. No matter what the language, the skills needed for structuring
and building a solution are the same.

Anyway, I do think there are things Rev could do -- little things that would
make a big difference (and perhaps some big things than might not make any
difference)... but in general it's the best blend of power and ease of use
out there. I hope you'll persevere through the rough beginnings. The more
you know the easier it is to understand.

"GregSmith" <brucegregory at earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:5190992.post at talk.nabble.com...