What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jul 4 22:13:34 EDT 2006

Hey Richard, I know you know this. The browser plugin wars are over.
Macromedia won (with Flash), end of story....at least that's what any
investor worth his salt will tell you.

Richard, I agree with you, the future is AJAX, DOM, Jscript and
Frameworks. Just check out what the investors ARE investing in.

I know you remeber Meta-Creations. They sold their whole company (tons
of great programs) and everything in it, lock, stock and barrel and
bet their future on a plugin. That was 7 years ago, and just look how
far they've come!

Let's all get serious, perhaps it is technically feasible..or not.
But's it definitely not feasible marketing-wise. I mean who in their
right mind would believe a company with RR's resources could/would
ever execute such a late-stage plugin wars strategy???

The marketing considerations alone are staggering. Perhaps if RR was
sold to Google or IBM or someone with the resources, but even then I
doubt we'd see a RR native plugin.

-Chipp