Sub-stack deleted!

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 22:29:56 EDT 2006

On 7/1/06, Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> I was working in a stack trying to solve a long file name problem
> (see other  memo) and when I went to save, one  of the substacks
> (contained all the  data!) was gone. this used to happen a long time
> ago...fortunately I can go  back to our raid Array and get a copy
> from yesterday from Retrospect, but lost all of  today's work...
>
> Good lesson, intensive  work may want  continuous back ups.. I've
> been spoiled by Rev..have had only two such problems  in 3 years...

One of the reason that this use to happen was when trying to delete
characters in the pre-2.7 Help Docs search field you wouldn't realize the
focus was actually still on the script you were editing or a control you had
selected. Haven't seen this is 2.7 but I still follow this method:

1) Save regularly.
2) Each day the first time I open a project that I intend to amend, I Save
as... with a new name, which is basically the project name, the rev version
+ an ever increasing version number;

My Killer App 2.7v55

That way, on the odd occasion where I suddenly find I've deleted a control
and I can't Undo I just open the previous version and copy the control
across - the only thing I've lost is the changes to that particular control.
Of course if I really screw up I can go back to where I was 'yesterday'.

I've got to say though, Rev has come along way with it's stability and
presents far less unpleasant surprises.

HTH