What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sat Jul 1 10:52:43 EDT 2006

Supercard's plugin - "Roadster" was extremely buggy and Mac-only.
Hypercard was demonstrated as becoming integrated with Quicktime - not
quite the same as a browser plugin and no guarantee of anything in
particular.

Both efforts ultimately were total failures for one reason or another,
and neither product had a fraction of the toolset of Rev. They weren't
even cross-platform. Note that Supercard is still alive, but the
browser plugin is not- and it's still Mac only.

A useful browser plugin for a Rev-like tool doesn't even make much
technical sense. Sure, there are instances where an HTML export can
work (say you are building a slideshow app) or a Flash export of your
animation, or a Quicktime export of something else. There are other
tools for delivery in a browser. You are much better off learning some
of them, than trying to make Revolution live inside a browser window.
Not too mention that if your product really MUST live inside a browser
window, a large portion of many markets will just walk away when you
ask them to install a new plugin.

I don't mind if people really want to keep discussing this and find it
interesting, but please consider the evidence that it's extremely
unlikely to happen anytime soon - and quite possibly ever.

Maybe we can shift the focus here. What kind of *specific* export tools
would be good projects for Rev - and better suited than the already
existing tools for those formats?

- Brian