Maximum image size

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 05:39:48 EDT 2006

> Here's a post from Scott Raney on bugzilla (bug 1859) where he talks about
> the image size limits on the Mac:
>
> This is a fundamental limitation in the MacOS image architecture: the rowBytes
> field of the PixMap image structure has a maximum value of 4000 (hex) which on
> a 32-bit display works out to 4096 pixels.  (see
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/QuickDraw_Ref/qdref_m
> ain/data_type_41.html).  This can be worked around but only by writing a lot
> of code to handle all the manipulation using local instead of OS routines, so
> for now I'm downgrading to an enhancement and reassigning to Tuv (since I no
> longer do Mac development).
>
> So 4096 X 4096 seems to be the current image size limit. But I'm sure I read
> somewhere that this was going to be "fixed" in an upcoming version of Rev,
> where this limitation (I believe it's a limitation of QuickDraw) will be
> removed.

Thanks for that Howard. From my testing, the limit is still there in
the current version of Rev. I have been checking for images with any
dimension greater than 4000 so that's probably a safe margin. However
it sounds like this is Mac only, so I can ignore the size of images in
Windows.

Cheers,
Sarah