Buttons within Quicktime Movies

Jonathan Kotthoff jonkotthoff at clarionstl.com
Sat Jul 1 02:11:20 EDT 2006

Hello all:

I have brought this up before...but, thought I would give it one more
try...I produce a lot of multimedia applications/kiosks that compete with
what alot of the market provides as Director of Flash applications...The DB
and Web integration that Revolution allows me, gives my applications a real
backend advantage to these apps...but the feature that kills me everyday is
my inability to create buttons on top of or withing QuickTime
applications...I realize that I can create Sprites within QT movies and have
done this in the past, but this requires me resorting to C++ or going into
LiveStage Pro...Which is not the ideal...I and many others could knock the
competition out of the water and thus create more demand for this our
beloved product, if I could just have the ability to create buttons
(invisible or not) on top of or within QT movies...

For the record I do realize that Revs inability to do this is tied to its
utilization of the QT library and how QT dislplays itself within the OS
environment...but part of me things that some creative engineering could
overcome this problem...for example, a Hook installed at the os level could
caprture all clicks within a QT window space and pass them to Rev...this
could be installed on Mac OS X or Windows as a rev library...

Anyone want to chime in on there agreement, disagreement, ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan Kotthoff
Director of Media & Technology
Menlo Park Concepts