COM, jScript, VB etc.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jan 30 19:58:47 EST 2006

Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Hello list fellows,
>
> I am working on a project that needs to exchange info with iTunes on
> WindowsXP and need some advice. I know that in order to communicate
> with iTunes in a proficient manner I need to access COM on the PC and
> that many languages will do that. What I need to know is what is the
> best choice as far as ease of use/learning and integration with
> Transcript.
>
> I would prefer to execute some scripts from with in a Rev standalone
> that do not require an install of any scripting engine on the XP
> side. For the Mac side I am going to probably use applescript from
> within Rev and want a similar thing on the PC side.
>
> Is there a scripting language pre installed on the PC side. I thought
> that jscript or something was on all pc's where explorer is present.

I don't know if there is any scripting environment that you can rely on
having available on XP.  If jscript is commonly enough deployed that you
can use it, that would be a good answer.

But if it isn't, then I'd suggest developing in any of the scripting
languages that allows you to build a standalone executable, and install
that as part of your system install. That would give you a
self-contained solution with no dependency on what might be already
installed.

I know this is feasible, even easy, with Python (which would be my
choice of 2nd easiest scripting language after Transcript), and would
use either sockets or simply make the Python app be a command-line app
(output routed to Transcript). I would guess something similar can be
done with the other scripting langs - but it is only a guess, don't know
enough about any of the others.

btw - I would be willing / interested in doing a Python lib/app for this
if you choose to go that way; I've already built a simple Rev app w/
Python app "back-end" to do simple iTunes interrogation.