How To Get Domain Whois Information From Whois Servers With RR?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 17:04:17 EST 2006

Hi Alex,

Another approach that would take more work but would probably be more
reliable in the long run is to create a whois client app in Rev. It
would use the WHOIS internet protocol and interact directly with a WHOIS
server on port 43. That might enable you to bypass security issues
(on some WHOIS servers anyway).

You could probably start by learning about the WHOIS protocol from any
of the regular RFC repositories around the internet. Here are some
starting places:
   http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Also it may be helpful to read the site of one WHOIS client publisher
I'm aware of (and I imagine there are others):
   http://www.geektools.com/

I realize this may be an idea whose time has not yet come, but it is at
least another approach to getting WHOIS info.

Best to you -
Phil Davis