Can't FTP - any ideas?

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 28 11:56:06 EST 2006

Hi Ken,

I was going through the same thing yesterday.  Apparently, FTP access
on the Mac has been made more restrictive in Tiger than it was in
Panther.  Port 21 is open, but you'll have to open port 20 for data
by creating a separate firewall rule on the server.  That way, you
can have the firewall turned on, but still send and receive via FTP.
I'm not computer suave, but I did verify that this is what is
necessary for Interarchy and Revolution to work with the firewall
turned on.  I was then able to use "get URL ("ftp:/...") to download
files successfully and very quickly I might add.  I haven't tried to
upload yet, but I'm assuming that works too.

To make a new firewall rule on the remote Mac, open Sharing
preferences, click on the Firewall tab and then the New... button.
Then enter this information.

Port Name: Other
TCP Port Number(s): 20-21, 1024-65535
UDP port Number(s) <Leave Empty>

The only other thing you need to make sure, as Mark Schonewille
advised me yesterday, is that your Revolution FTP mode, passive or
active, must be the same as that on your remote Mac in the Network/
Proxies panel.

Hope that this helps,

	Gregory Lypny

	Associate Professor of Finance