[Valentina 2] Binary Links are amazing!

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 28 03:56:24 EST 2006

On 1/28/06 6:33 AM, "Justin Drury" <soundminer at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Justin,

> I just used a binary link on two tables...amazing, I'm blown away...
:-)

> I'm having a bit of a hard time with the docs, apart from count_linked is
> there any other cool functions for binary links?

YES. Please check ValentinaSQL.pdf  section  "Link Functions"

Or you ask about API functions? Then you need check
    I_Link, I_Link2 interfaces.

We still will improve these interfaces and exposed methods into plugins.

> select * from table1,table2 seems to automatically join, is there anything
> else that's nifty?

* Also you can find USEFUL  new operator  ->
   Please read SQL.pdf if still questions about it, let me know.

In short: this is part of SQL2003, but(!) we have extend this idea to be
used with our Links feature. We like results :-)

This operator can REALLY simply as syntax of your query so increase
performance, because it removes need in join.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Frank Schima from Valentina list use this feature very intensive and have
offer many ideas how to improve this future more.

* Also note that we have extend syntax of join of SL92
    SELECT ...  FROM T1 JOIN T2 ON link_name

When you have 3-4-5 tables to join, such syntax simplify a lots query.
Note, in 80% of cases you can use even simpler form:
    SELECT ...  FROM T1 JOIN T2

> BTW, in the api a link is made by passing an array, is there any reason why
> there's no  linkRecords(int recID1,int recID2) ?

Aha, this is exactly what must be improved. Right now into plugins exposed
set of methods which go from general I_Link.

I_Link2 have methods which are comfortable for partial case - link between 2
tables. So I_Link2 should have method which you want. And binaryLink should
inherit it.

> Again... amazing...so easy and powerful, I just used it to join up files on
> hard drive in one table with metadata from a mysql dump in another table and
> was able to give the client reports on duplicate records, orphaned files on
> disk, files in the database without corresponding files.  Amazing...

And I hope you have note that BinaryLink can handle M : M link?

Actually Links and BinaryLinks is the most REVOLUTIONARY new feature of
Valentina 2.x.

As I like say: any other DBMS of the world do not have this. It is clean
Paradigma Software invention. And as far as I see, developers which have
spend time to try it very like it!

Also note, on Valentina list we have discuss with Ed new improvements to
BinaryLinks. Believe me, it will be just fantastic thing. :-)

> and indexing in v2 on a field is sooooo much faster than v1.

Good news.

Then I think you will be happy that the next build 2.2 fc4 will be able
index varchar/string about 3 times faster of 2.1.

2.1 do bench which I have in 100 seconds, 2.2 now in 32 seconds.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology