[ANN] New External Released from Altuit

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jan 26 23:16:55 EST 2006

Terry Judd wrote:

> Chipp, does altFont work even if the end user doesn't have administrator
> rights?
>
> TIA Terry...

Well, Terry that's a loaded question with a lot of variables. The Demo
stack downloads and installs the altFont.dll (Windows) or altFont.bundle
(Mac) in the same folder as Revolution. If you don't have administrator
rights, then I suppose that might fail on the PC as typcially the Rev
folder is in the Program Files area. Of course, someone would have had
to already had administrator rights to install Rev in the first place,
so I doubt that's much of a problem.

If you build a standalone application, you'll need to ship the altFont
external with it. Where it is stored is up to the user, but once saved
to a folder, there should be no other admin issues.

Regarding the actual loading of fonts, I don't think there are any
problems at all on either platform. The fonts are not copied to any
folder like the Windows/Font folder or the font folder on the Mac, they
are just instantiated via an API call on the computer. I would be very
surprised if there are any admin conflicts for this API call. I couldn't
find any documentation about them.

HTH,

Chipp