Phomenes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 26 03:49:57 EST 2006

Thomas McCarthy wrote:
 > I remember that SuperCard had a text to speech phomene editor.
 > Does Rev have that capability???? he asks hopefully

I wrote SuperCard's Phoneme Editor under contract with Allegiant -- glad
you found it useful.

As a Mac-only tool, SuperCard can rely on Mac-specific features to a
degree that is difficult to do in Rev without annoying someone.  If they
put too much into something for one platform, folks using another wonder
why their pet feature isn't there.

With TTS, Rev currently implements that as an external, one which
attempts to provide a useful common interface for the TTS engines on Mac
and Windows.  But under the hood the two APIs are quite different, so
it's a bit of a "lowest common denominator" implementation.  While Mac
OS provides a relatively straightforward way to output textual phoneme
descriptions rather than audio, I'm not sure the Win API does that at
all, and if they do I'm somewhat confident it's different enough to be
some work to add that.

Short form:  Phoneme support isn't in there yet, but I agree it can be
very helpful for those who use Rev's TTS external, certainly worth
submitting an enhancement request to Bugzilla for it:
<http://support.runrev.com/bugzilla/bugzilla.php>

On balance, however, I'll warn you in advance:  the number of people who
use TTS in Rev-based apps is relatively small, so I wouldn't hold your
breath for expansion of its capabilities just yet.

Maybe someone on this list with a good head for writing Mac externals
and some time on his hands could whip up a solution in the meantime?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal