Playing Quicktime movies from a server...

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed Jan 25 13:40:25 EST 2006

Does anyone have any experience of how to do this?

> QuickTime video can be encoded to stream off of a video server, or
> it can be encoded to stream off of any standard web server like
> you're already using to host your current web site. This second
> method of streaming is the most popular and is commonly referred to
> as http streaming, or QuickTime progressive download (a.k.a fast
> start).
Ideally I'd like to be able to play then without having to download
the movie first - and then have the data locally.

> If you specify a URL for a streaming QuickTime movie file,
> Revolution displays the movie sequentially as it downloads.
> Otherwise, Revolution must download the entire file before you can
> play it. To pre-fetch a file from the Internet in order to speed up
> access to it, use the load command before visiting the card that
> holds the player or image that references the file's URL.

OK - but in either case where is the downloaded QuickTime file and
how can I copy it to a permanent store?

A final question is which is a faster or more reliable method to use
(given that I can access the files either by ftp or http:

     load url

or

     libURLDownloadToFile

And is there a way to resume a download after pausing it for some
reason?