Puzzling lack of debugging information

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 14:08:07 EST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:03:22 -0800, Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>

>> if there is an error during this initialisation sequence, the
>> debugger doesn't start up and I don't see the script error window.
>> Instead I get a comment in the message box
>>

> Does your standalone include preOpen logic--either preOpenStack or
> preOpenCard for the first card to open?
>
> I have not tested this in v2.6.1; but I have noted in previous
> versions that some errors in preOpenStack handlers are _never_
> reported.  In other words, Rev would open the stack without reporting
> any problem; but if one then typed "preOpenStack" in the Message
> Window, an error message is returned.

Hi Rob - thanks for the thought but no, this particular app doesn't
have any preOpen handlers in it at all: basically the mainstack
(which is a splash screen) opens and the "startup" handler runs
within it - at some point this script calls a handler on one of the
cards of the stack which sets a lot of parameters (mostly putting
text into label fields and menus in order to have a central point
where one might change the human language seen by the user). The lack
of error context problem seems to come up if there is an error in the
card script, for example a reference to a non-existent field. The
irritating bit is that the IDE must know perfectly well which field
is being referred to, but it just doesn't want to tell me about it!

Graham