[OT] Emulation and HC-like software [was: Freely and Legally Available HyperCard]

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Jan 22 13:36:31 EST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:

> but the new Amiga is Linux kernal based. Kinda like
> OSX is based on Darwin/BSD. Sorry for the long OT post... just had a
> memory flood (in a good way).  ;-)

Roger,

sorry for the OT too, but the new amiga is not linux kernel based...
you have two new amiga-like machines available, the AmigaOne and the
Pegasos/MorphOS ones. Both are PPC based machines with their written
from scratch operating system.

you can check Hyperion SW site for info on AmigaOS 4 and MorphZone
site for info on MorphOS. The main problem they are facing now is
that amigaone is out of hardware and morphos is on a misty zone after
some legal problems with some of its developers.

I know this has nothing to do with Revolution, but, one thing that
both platforms lack (not only those two but also Zeta and SkyOS) is
the lack of a good newbie developer/inventive user programing
language. In the new amiga experience machines, you're locked into C/C
++ land so only a few key people are building software. I belive that
a platform is as strong as its developer base. For example the newton
still very alive even being out of market for 10 years. I have a newt
here with Wifi, RSS readers and stuff, that's only possible because
NewtonScript and the NewtApp framework makes easy to develop apps. I
even got newtonOS running on my mac with Einstein. Now this other
platforms, are lacking something that would empower their hands-on
users to build the little tools they need. Many tools I build each
day with rev are simple task oriented stacks to solve simple
problems, if I needed a C/C++ program just to do those tasks, then,
I'd probably never build them. I have a Zeta machine here, and
lacking a good language to work with is my main point in spending
less time with it.

Gee, very OT....

Andre