Freely and Legally Available HyperCard - but not a solution

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jan 22 13:24:57 EST 2006

Marian Petrides wrote:
> GS OS, while made to resemble Mac OS pre-System 7, is NOT a MacOS.  I
> can't imagine that the ][GS version of Hypercard would read standard
> Hypercard files.

It won't, the file formats were very different. I worked with both
versions years ago. There used to be a translator available but the
translation wasn't perfect. One big issue is that the GS had a different
screen resolution than the Mac, and moving HC to GS caused all the
images to distort and object placement was different. Even if you could
get the HC stacks over to a GS emulator, it wouldn't do much good
without the translation software. Also, the GS version of HyperCard only
worked with HC 1.0 (if I remember right) and no 2.x stacks would load.
Virtually all HC stacks available today are  in 2.0 file format, so the
translation software wouldn't work.

Adding to this, regarding Richmond's offer: HC version 2.2.1 is ancient,
something like 10 or 12 years old. Running it on a modern Classic
installation would be dicey, and more than half the later abilities of
HyperCard would cause errors when running in that version. Not a viable
solution in my opinion, piracy or no.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com