File/Picture Chooser Widgets available for Windows XP

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jan 18 21:54:12 EST 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Dear Windows XP Users (and others),
>
> This is a quick status report on the testing of the file and picture
> chooser widgets available for download at
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/downloads/runrev .

Hi Bob. I've started testing, but haven't yet experimented with changing
the .ini values. However, I do have some suggestions ....

One Bug (imho) : fix what happens when user hits TAB and shift-TAB

TAB should step the focus through the various controls. Currently it
moves focus from folder-list to file-list and then to "Cancel", but
although focus is on cancel, it leaves the most recent file highlighted.
Goes nowhere after the filter-list (Windows would normally cycle back to
first control). shift-TAB is apparently ignored.

some suggestions (these would be almost essential for me):

allow more flexible filters  (see Rev docs)
    should at least allow, e.g.
          *.jpg;*.jpeg JPEG files
    but would be even better to allow the full flexibility allowed by
"answer file"

allow multi-file selection (with ctrl and shift click, or shift+arrow)

accept up-arrow and down-arrow keys in folder and file lists

clicking on a different directory should remove the preview of the photo

suggestions (these would be nice):

RETURN should be equivalent to clicking OK
      (or cancel if that's your preferred default - but there should be
a default).
accept page-up and page down in folder and file lists
accept up/down arrow in filter list
allow "incremental search" in folder and file lists
      (or at least initial letter selection)
make the preview optional (it's noticeably slow on 6Mb files, esp across
the wifi network :-)
allow left/right arrow to select between disks (a c d etc.)
make the window be sizable
allow user to change space allocation between list windows (or change
the space automatically ??)