File/Picture Chooser Widgets available for Windows XP

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Tue Jan 17 14:52:53 EST 2006

Dear Sivakatirswami,

If you are working with MAC, the stacks wouldn't do you much good at the
moment. This is on account of the fact that the Mac file system is
vastly different from the Windows one. My plan is to convert the Windows
XP version to Linux first, and I anticipate that this might cause me a
considerable amount of work. But I possess a Linux machine and I can do
the job. Thereafter, conversion to the Mac file system should be easier,
but I cannot do it myself because I do not have a Macintosh computer.
Nor am I likely to acquire one in the near future. Even the $500 Mac
Mini costs about 3 times the US price here in Brazil, not only in
general practice but also according to the manufacturer's recommendation!

So if a MAC version is eventually to see the light of day, somebody else
would have to do the conversion (from the proposed Linux version).

The standalone widgets for Windows XP are free, and I have no commercial
ambitions. Nor do I intend to commercailise the proposed Linux and Mac
versions. Also, I hope to become progressively more involved in Linux,
which suggests the appropriateness of "open source" and such. However,
what concerns me is that these widgets should be available to the RR
community and that they should work reliably. At the moment, I am
entirely responsible for their reliability. Once I allow all and sundry
to muck about with my stacks, I can no longer be responsible for them.

Whether or not, or at what point, I will make the widget stacks
available to the RR community is still an open question though. I may
change my mind in the future. Regarding the MAC version, which I am
unable to achieve myself (unless you buy me a computer), I would prefer
to pass on the future Linux version to a single individual or body for
conversion. This way, responsibility would be strictly limited and,
hopefully, a more reliable result would be achieved.

On top of what I have said, I would also like to point out that these
stacks are far from trivial. At first sight, one would think that such
widgets should be simple. In fact, they are quite complex, and it took
me months to write them. (Of course, I have very little experience in
Rev, so I am prepared to believe that another programmer might be able
to produce better widgets in a much more efficient way. However, for
some reason, nobody appears to have done it so far, and I wonder if it
might have something to do with the complexity of the task, among other
things.) With the Linux version ready, I would be quite happy to pass
the stacks across to the RR team for conversion to MAC. However,
adapting someone else's complicated program is a daunting task, even for
the experts on the RR team, and anyway they are busy people. Somehow, I
can't see it happening.

Regards,
Bob