Off Topic / On Topic: Those Yahoo Groups ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 16 13:19:41 EST 2006

Mathewson wrote:
> After the "November/December Cafuffle" over what was and
> what was not the acceptable topic-range on the RR use-list
> Richard Gaskin set up a rev-biz Yahoo group and I set up a
> rev-Graphics group - and they died a rapid and perhaps
> predictable death.
>
> I would be grateful if users could e-mail me directly (i.e.
> don't clog-up this list again) as to whether those Yahoo
> Groups are worth maintaining or should be "flushed down the
> toilet of history"

Working with graphics would seem to fall under the charter of this
use-rev list, so I'm not sure why there's a separate group for that.

Using the documentation would also seem within the charter of this list,
but a working group for detailed discussions of revising the docs for
the future has been given RunRev's blessing at:
A specific task from RunRev was once given to that group, and other
opportunities may come along later.  The central mandate -- that
recommendations refined there and then presented to RunRev will be given
consideration -- remains.

The Rev-Biz group was formed as an outlet for often lengthy discussions
about how RunRev should run their business.  Since those have been cited
by RunRev as outside of the charter of this list, Rev-Biz remains
available for anyone with a need to delve into such things in detail:

RevInterop is a working group for defining and evangelizing guidelines
for making components that work well together:
Significant work has been done by that group, and the first draft of
interoperability guidelines has been published there.

The MC IDE working group maintains and distributes the MetaCard IDE for
the engine for anyone with an Enterprise (MetaCard) license:
Version 2.6b12 was released there a couple weeks ago, and will likely go
final soon.

Alain Farmer's FreeGUI is an extension of the MC IDE, open for
contributions from those who'd like to see a more HyperCard-like
interface for working with the Rev engine:

The Revolution IPC group got off to a strong start in crafting a library
for inter-process communication, but currently appears to be stalled --
maybe all that's needed is a little fresh blood to complete it:

The SoCal Rev group exists only for planning meetings for the regional
Southern California Rev User Group:

The original HyperCard list remains somewhat active there for those who
wish to discuss the mother tongue:

Aside from the graphics group, these serve peripheral interests which
seem outside the charter of this list; most remain active and viable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal