revCreateXMLFromFile parsing entities?

Mark Waddingham 36degrees at runrev.com
Sun Jan 15 14:57:30 EST 2006

I missed this first time round, but as this is related to a post I just
made, I thought I'd go back and retrospectively comment :o)

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:06 -0600, Peter T. Evensen wrote:
> I get an error saying that "Entity 'cent' is not defiled" if I have the
> following in my XML file:
>
>          <PostfixUnit>¢</PostfixUnit>
>
> 1) are entities defined on XML?  Should the library even be trying to parse
> it?  I wanted it to just leave it alone and pass it to me so I can handle
> it with htmlText of a field.

>From my understanding of the XML standard, XML is perfectly happy to
parse entities - but only a handful are predefined. They are:
  < -- <
  > -- >
  & -- &
  ' -- '
  " -- "

For all others, you need to either:
  - define them explicity using an '!ENTITY' declaration before use
or
  - include a file containing the entity declarations before use
or
  - define them in your schema and reference that in your header

Obviously, if you are used to HTML then you are used to having a whole
zoo of entities predefined. XML tries to be as lightweight as possible
so this isn't mandated.

> There is also a bug related to it's handling of entities (if it is supposed
> to handle the entities)... if I use the numeric code for ¢ (i.e.,
> ¢), I get a cent sign, but it has a capital A with a circumflex over
> it.  I BZed this a while back.

This is for the reasons pointed out in my previous post. I'm guessing
your XML file is tagged with UTF-8 as its encoding - so the unicode copy
point '162' is getting translated to its 2-byte UTF-8 representation.

Hope this helps,

Mark.