Portable Apps..?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Jan 14 14:40:09 EST 2006

Rob-

Saturday, January 14, 2006, 9:44:45 AM, you wrote:

> * Apple system profiler rates the USB port at "up to 12MB/sec", yet
> actual performance is worse than the internal CD (.83 MB/sec).

That's a USB 1.x port on the computer (sometimes referred to as "full
speed") as opposed to a USB 2.0 port (referred to as "high speed"). It
doesn't matter whether you connect 1.x or 2.x devices to it, you can
still only drive the computer's port at 1.x speed. And remember that
the "up to 12MB/sec" spec is megaBITS, not bytes, so divide it roughly
by ten to get throughput.

...and yes, that's a theoretical maximum speed, like defining modems
as 56k. You'll never acheive that in practice. Even so, I'm surprised
at the slowness of the mac's port - I would have expected twice that
speed. I don't have any USB 1.x ports over here to run a comparable
test on.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net