Portable Apps..?

sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Sat Jan 14 13:22:08 EST 2006

At 8:28 AM -0800 1/14/06, Rob Cozens wrote:

>Removable media [Bernouli cartridges] made sense to me as IS manager
>of Omega Corp. in the mid 1980s, and it still makes sense to me in
>any business where the ratio of computers to computer users is less
>than one-to-one.
>
>Removable media makes it possible for users to share a computer but
>maintain total control of access to their individual documents, data
>files, etc.  Yes today's computers support user sign-in and file
>access protection; but physically separating the computer from your
>personal files provides a higher level of security, me thinks.

About three months ago I was thinking of selling an application designed for
corporate employees, I was proposing to place this app onto a flash drive
for ease of use and to make the users data more portable.

I talked with a sales manager for scientific software, a distributor
across Europe,

I talked with a fellow who recently retired from his job a general
manager (Europe) of
a well known 'pen tablet' input device,

I also talked to fellow who has been a software distributor to
corporations for over
ten years.

All stated that it would NOT be accepted in any corporate environment
in Europe as
corporations were banning the use of such devices by people in the office.
No employees were allowed to use such a device in the office.

My question: is it common practise in the USA to allow employees to use flash
drives in an office setting?

ciao,
sims

European Rev Conference  2006