Windows deployment

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Fri Jan 13 18:50:28 EST 2006

> I'm getting ready to release a program for Mac and Windows, but I'm
> mostly a Mac guy, so PC issues are pretty foreign to me. The program
> doesn't have any complex installation needs, but I've heard
> talk of the
> Windows Registry, write priviledges, etc. What do I need to know to
> distribute my app to Windows users? For testing this I've just been
> copying it to my Windows Desktop and running it from there.
> I've had no
> problems with that, but I'm sure there are things I need to
> be educated
> about.

If you are not writing to the registry (which is done explicitly in
your app') then you don't need to worry about that.  As for installation
location, 99% of the time - if a general small business or consumer
application -
the Program Files directory is fine.  In the rare instance you can't
write to this
then let the user specify where to install it.

Scott