Formatting numbers

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Fri Jan 13 18:46:44 EST 2006

Here is what I use, not sure if it the best, but it works for any size number:

function AddNumberSeparator pValue
   local  tDecimalPointPos, tLength, tSeparatorPosition

    put offset(".",pValue) into tDecimalPointPos
    put the number of chars in pValue into tLength
    if tDecimalPointPos is not zero then put tDecimalPointPos - 1 into tLength
    put tLength - 3 into tSeparatorPosition
    repeat while tSeparatorPosition > 0
      put char 1 to tSeparatorPosition of pValue & "," & char
tSeparatorPosition + 1 to -1 of pValue into pValue
      subtract 3 from tSeparatorPosition
    end repeat
    return pValue

end AddNumberSeparator