externalsCommands

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 00:48:53 EST 2006

> I just created a standalone using a stack that had the externals set
> to /Full/Path/to/revspeech.bundle and the externalPackages returned
> "RevSpeech" (answer the externalPackages of this stack).  This was
> using 2.6.1 on OS X.4.  I'm not sure how the speech commands are
> working without the external being loaded in a standalone though.
>
> FWIW, I always check the externalPackages to see if an external has
> loaded successfully.  the externalPackages of a stack will always
> report the name of the externals that have successfully loaded.

What do you use for the full path to the external? I made a test app
that uses this:
/Users/sarah/Desktop/SpeechTest/SpeechTest.app/Contents/MacOS/externals/revspeech.bundle
but this is a bundle folder which contains 2 revspeech files in
differently nested folders. Should I be setting the external to one of
them?

The other thing that I have noticed is that the substacks of my app
include one called: revExternalLibrary. I wonder if the speech stuff
being copied into this automatically?

In my test app, I have shown the following:
- speech works perfectly without any setting of externals.
- the externals, the externalPackages, the externalCommand & the
externalFunctions all return empty.
- if I set the externals to revSpeech.bundle, it makes no functional
difference. The revSpeech.bundle then shows up when I query the
externals, but the others all return empty.

This is using Rev 2.6.1 and Mac OS X 10.4.3

So now I am just using speech without testing to see whether it is
available, so I've made a general speech routine with an "on try ...
error" structure.

However I am confused about how Trevor managed to get some data out of
the externalPackages when I can't in a brand-new plain test stack. I
don't want to make a Bugzilla entry until I'm sure it isn't just me
:-)

Cheers,
Sarah