Restricting display to 1024*768 on wider screens---Happy end !!!

Kresten Bjerg Kresten.Bjerg at psy.ku.dk
Wed Jan 11 19:03:34 EST 2006

Hi,
 thanks for advices and ideas. Klaus Major helped with a formidable little explanatory demo-stack: "Hole in the world", which I hope he wil make available
for future idiots like me.
 You produce an image of large size in a graphic program, I used "Graphic converter". You select the central area you need for a hole, and make that transparent, and save the image as png. You create  a wide substack and import that image to it. And then it is only this much for a handler in the stack-script:
On preopenstack
set the windowshape of me to( the number the image got in the stack)
end preopenstack.
Thus you can hide, whatever shouldt be shown, on larger screens.
The simplest for us will probably be to anchor our 1024*768 hole at 0,0.  But being unfamiiar with which greater screensizes exists it would be nice if somebody could tell us,
the existing "oversizes" as of 2006, - and perhaps explain wether our masking stack will have to be fitted (automaticaly, if a method exists) to the particular degree of oversize window, -or we just can make it as large as the largest, and leave it to the users screen to show what it can show.
Anyhow
thank you so much for friendly support

Kresten

www.psy.ku.dk/bjerg