Mac OS 10.2.x system config files

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jan 10 11:24:37 EST 2006

Mark Talluto wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Ken has a method for getting the MAC address via applescript if that
> will work for you.  It is on his website.

Thanks. I knew about that, but it requires sudo or admin access -- which
the app may not have -- so I decided to read the relevant file directly.
The files themselves appear to be set up with at least read-only access;
  I hope that's the case everywhere.

Some sleuthing on the web revealed that in 10.2 the file is located here
(if anyone is interested):

/private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml

This gives the system info, including the MAC address.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com