[ANN] surprise - new website to host codes

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Jan 9 09:29:03 EST 2006

Dear all,

Thanks for the kind words on the new cms. My log suggests that many
of you paid it a visit... and came back. 500 pages now and still
growing!

Some more information.

1.

We had discussed the fact that this was viable only if (a) everything
was automated as much as possible, (b) a person comited to this and
toke responsibility for maintenance, welcoming the contribution of
volunteers but  not depending on it for the continuation of the service.

I thought about ways to automatize as much as possible... I arrived
at the same conclusion as Amazon (see slashdot post <http://
slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/04/1336240>). For quality
classification, we need human intervention.

I see this as my personal scripter's scrapbook that I am happy to
share with the community and let the community contribute to and
augment with their own snippets and functions. Quality of the service
will increase the more community members contribute but even if
nobody does, users will still have something useful that will get
maintained simply because I depend on it.

2.

Many of you already registered. Thanks for that. You have probably
been disappointed to see that "registering" didn't allow you to
change the content.

Be patient.  I would be very much interested in having you give a
hand and contribute your own code.

The issue here is that the CMS I use has a permission system that is
not that obvious ... For now, when I give editing authorization, it
is possible to create a page with php code to be executed. Well, I
will take a bit more time to understand what I should be doing to
give you maximum power while minimizing risks of incidents. I  hope
to have this solved by start of next week. We will then be able to
discuss suggestions etc.

Till I solve these permission mysteries, editing is only possible
with a "moderator" status which is allocated on request, to trusted
members of the community (regular contributors to the use-list).

3.

Code colorization routines have already been much improved. They now
exist for 4 languages, xtalk, awk, rebol, php. To add new ones is a
piece of cake. It suffices to add a "language.syntax" file with a
format like this one (this is for awk, written in php) :

     // Functions - synFunction
     $html = preg_replace('/(close|getline|...|systime)\b/', '<span
class="synFunction">\\1</span>', $html);

     // Control structure - synPreProc
     $html = preg_replace('/\b(BEGIN|END|if|while|...|exit|next)\b/',
'<span class="synPreProc">\\1</span>', $html);

     // Variables - synConstant
     $html = preg_replace('/\b(ARGC|ARGIND|ARGV|ENVIRON|...|SUBSEP)
\b/', '<span class="synConstant">\\1</span>', $html);

so if you would like me to add colorization for another language,
very simple, you provide me with the syntax file for this language or
you find somebody who can write it for you. You will find
instructions of this kind for a large range of languages in the
textmate bundles, syntax folder of a given bundle: <http://
macromates.com/wiki/Main/Bundles>

4.

The news aggregator for now requires manual update <http://
revolution.lexicall.org/codes/?q=aggregator>. I have added a few more
elearning links. If you would like other feeds to be added (to the
condition they would be of interest to a decent number of community
members), feel free to send me an email with the link to the feed and
a description of it. I need to find that cron.php file they mention
and automatize this. I tend to do it once a day. About email, I check
out the revolution digests only once a day... so for rapid replies,
best is to copy or send to me directly.

5.

I would like to add a bookmark library too. There is a default
"bookmark" module but it doesn't include a description field which
makes it unpractical. If somebody wants to have a go and modify one
of the existing modules to change it into a "bookmarks" browsing one,
you are very welcome to do so. Otherwise, you will probably have to
wait at least a month to see it added to the cms.

6.

It would be quite easy to incorporate the revdocs, in viewing mode,
with the ability to comment them. I  have already written the program
that parse the doc, transform it into sql tables. But this will need
to be discussed with runrev ( it would probably be more adequate to
have this on a website that they maintain).

7.

To answer a question. The technology behind this is not mine. The cms
I use is called Drupal (<http://drupal.org/>). All taxonomy modules
have been contributed by members of the Drupal community. I had
nothing else to do than install Drupal, change the theme slightly,
add the taxonomy modules, have Drupal use them and that was done! For
code colorization, I had to hack a bit to get the xtalk colorization
but the Drupal cms is so well written, so beautifully modular in
structure that it didn't take me much time to understand how to do it
and do it. I strongly recommend it. It wouldn't be too difficult to
do the same in runrev... In a sense, this has already been done.
Check out Flexible Learning Scripter's scrapbook <http://
www.flexiblelearning.com/ssbk.htm> for this.

Enjoy,
Marielle

> Hi Marielle,
>
> I thought you were a woman.
> I know now you are a large team ;-)

I will put online a picture of the team at work later ;-).

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Homepage