message hierarchy question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Jan 6 02:26:52 EST 2006

Chipp-

> I'm wondering why you're using backScripts instead of library stacks? I
> can understand using frontScripts, but backScripts are limited in number
> vs library stacks (outside development), and IMO typically reserved for

> 1) scripts of objects other than stacks; (see libURL)
> 2) runtime when you know you'll never exceed the max number of
> backScripts (10)

I just posted a longer reply to Dick's response. I *am* using library
scripts now. I couldn't get a substack to work as a library stack
before, but now it's working. I think I just hadn't cleaned out memory
properly and my message hierarchy was messed up. Jacque's trick of
using "stack x of stack y" got me past that point.

But now that you mention it, my understanding is that library stacks
function like backscripts in that the go behind the mainstack, but
that they're peered, so they have access to each others' handlers. I
take it that real backscripts stay behind library stacks in the
message hierarchy?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net