message hierarchy question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jan 4 23:02:03 EST 2006

All-

I've stumbled on something that is very annoying, or at least I think
it is, now that I think I've figured out what's going on. Took me most
of the day playing around with this...

It appears that you can't put the scripts of substacks into front or
back scripts. Here's what I'm faced with:

stack A:
  mainStack
  subStack 1 (library stack)
  subStack 2 (library stack)

stack B:
  mainstack

What I'd like is to be able to load stack B at runtime (allowing for
switching to different but similar stack Bs). I've sort of got that
part working, inserting the script of stack B from hard disk into the
front. So far, so good.

But... stack B needs to be able to call handlers in subStack 1 of
stack A, and I haven't figured out how to get the substack into the
message-passing hierarchy. Inserting the script of substack 1 doesn't
give me any errors, but only the path to stack A appears in the list
of backscripts. That part's fine, but messages don't get down to the
substack level.

Here's what (I think) I want for a message hierarchy from front to
back:

stack B (frontscript)
stack A
 subStack 1 (backscript)

My options seem to be:
1. forget the library substack, move everything to the mainstack
2. make the substack a separate file

any other ideas?

--
-Mark Wieder