Linux cgi

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 4 22:55:44 EST 2006

Thomas McCarthy wrote:
> I've learned that my provider is running Linux 1.1.3 with glibc 2.3.1
>

> my scripts (which worked at another provider [unix]) are no longer
> working. Checking Ken Ray's site, I found some clues to what needs to
> be done. However, my provider doesn't allow telnet connections, so I
> can't do the diagnostics.
>
> What should I ask my provider to do? install some libraries? Judging
> from Ken's site I might need: libXext.so.6 libX11.so.6
>
> anything else? are most providers open to installing libraries?
> thanks tm

Are you getting anything in the browser at all when you try to run a cgi
script, like an error page? If so, then check the system error log. Most
providers allow you to access that, usually via a link in your site's
control panel or similar. Generate the error by trying to run a cgi
script, then immediately check the system error log and see what it says.

If you are missing libraries, it will tell you so and indicate which
one(s). If there is a script error it should tell you that too. You may
have to generate the error several times if there is more than one file
missing.

It is common for ISPs to neglect installing some Apache libraries that
aren't strictly necessary when running a web site. If that's what
happened, then you'll need to write to their support people and ask them
to install the missing libs. The system error log should tell you which
ones you need.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com