Visual Component Library

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Wed Jan 4 11:46:48 EST 2006

Hi Scott,

> But there are tens of thousands of these objects (called VCL for
> "Visual Component Library").  Take a look at:
> http://www.torry.net  to see what I mean.
> My point is that there is no reason why people should not do the
> same in
> Rev.

Based on your Delphi experience, what would it take to provide a
library of pre-built components for revolution?

For other "Visual Component Library" solutions I came across, see:
<http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?
page=DesignInterfaceLayouts> and  the growing "widget encyclopedia"
at <http://www.widgetopia.net/>.

Marielle

On 17 December 2005 8:28:19 AM,  "Scott Kane" wrote:

> Xavier,
>
> I'm positive your stuff is very cool (I'm still trying to
> work out what it all does), but the reason for my reply
> is to simply say - relax...  :-)  I come from Borland
> Delphi on Windows (I still design and create all my Windows
> app's using Delphi 7 and have done so since the Delphi Beta
> in 1994).  I'm not sure if you are familiar with Delphi's
> open object model or not, but it is an excellent example
> of thousands of programmers solving problems, often the
> same problems, with a tool they write for the job.  Some
> are free and open source, others are commercial. But there
> are tens of thousands of these objects (called VCL for
> "Visual Component Library").  Take a look at:
>
> http://www.torry.net  to see what I mean.  My point is that
> there is no reason why people should not do the same in
> Rev.  Duplicating may well create the same means to an end,
> but each VCL object is done a little differently, thus one
> can choose the solution that solves a specific problem or
> is done in a code style one prefers.  I think we all need
> to remember that, no matter what IDE, compiler and programming
> language we work in...  :-)
>
> Scott

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist