[OT] .ds_store Messing Up ZIP

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 3 19:32:45 EST 2006

Phil Davis wrote:
> dot-file removal is one of my standard steps when creating a
> cross-platform CD. From what little I can tell, I assume those files are
> probably Mac resource forks that only show up on a platform that doesn't
> understand them (Windows). Is that the way you guys understand them?

Yes, that appears to be the case.  But it writes them for most files
whether or not they have a resource fork, and of course directories have
the Finder info stored in .DS_Store.

I've written a utility to clean my MP3 player after I copy files, but it
seems silly to have to do that just to accomodate Apple's insistence
that the world be Mac-compatible.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation