How to check the HTTP web server respond speed

alex wu alex298298 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 05:03:27 EST 2006

Hello,

I want to compare the speed of webservers.  I try to
use the following function.  However the respond time
(Server_Speed) of almost all servers I test is zero.
I don't believe that the response speed of all
webservers are so fast - zero.  There must be some
problem with the way I calculate it.  Please help.

function haveIPconnect
  put fld "domain" into theHostName
  if colon is not in theHostName then
    put colon & "80|test" after theHostName
  end if

  ## Record the start time
  put the long seconds into startTime

  open socket theHostName
  if theHostName is among the lines of the openSockets
then

    ## Calculate the response time
    put the long seconds - startTime into Server_Speed

    close socket theHostName
    return true
  else
    beep