Timing

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:50:42 EST 2006

> I've been trying to get a simple timing script
> going and so far haven't managed.  Basically
> I need a routine that shows an image after a
> certain number of seconds.  I've tried Ticks
> and seconds but neither seemed to do it.
>
> What I need is something like
>
> put the ticks into elapsedTicks
>   repeat while elapsedTicks < 240 -- 240 being four seconds
>   set the visible of image "TheTitle" to false
>   end repeat
>   set the visible of image "TheTitle" to true
>
> In my tests it drops through the while loop immediately
> and sets the image to visible, rather than waiting the
> desired four seconds.

In your script, you don't update elapsedTicks within your repeat loop,
so it will never change. I would have thought this would give you an
infinite loop, so I can't see why it drops through.

However, you would be better using "send in time" instead of making
your program stop completely during the delay. Try something like
this:

on hideImage
  set the visible of image "TheTitle" to false
  send "showImage" to me in 4 seconds
end hideImage

on showImage
  set the visible of image "TheTitle" to true
end showImage

This allows other stuff to happen during the 4 seconds e.g. moving the
window, choosing menus, clicking other buttons.

HTH,
Sarah