Table fields in 2.7

Sumner, Walton WSumner at dom.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 16 23:05:36 EST 2006

My attempts to use table fields in Rev 2.7/Windows have been slightly less frustrating than with Rev 2.6.1, but are hardly satisfactory. Could others comment on their experiences with table fields? I guess I'm hoping that I have a local problem.

With very large table fields, hundreds or thousands of rows, dozens of columns, clicking on cells used to cause the whole field to go blank. That seems less likely now, but Rev 2.7/Windows can hang for 30 seconds at a time, and although it usually recovers, it still might lose the whole field. Or I might give up and kill the application. It's hard to imagine that this control passed stress testing before this release.

I am thrilled to have a multiplatform development environment, but unstable core features are a huge barrier to broader adoption. Because of bugs like this, I never suggest that my colleagues use Rev unless they are old Hypercard fans. I hope that changes soon.

--Walt Sumner