More e-mail troubles

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Tue Feb 28 22:26:51 EST 2006

Hi Bill!

Naturally, without being able to investigate further (and probably not
having the knowledge) I cannot begin to diagnose the problem with your
e-mail. However, my own experience might be relevant in some way.

When Rev "upgraded" their server last July, e-mails sent to me,
particularly the U-R Lists, got bounced by my service provider. After a
long investigation on my part, I managed to discover the reason.
Roughly, it was this. My own e-mail server is old-fashioned (but
normally reliable). But if it receives e-mails sent to the IP of my site
domain (www.howsoft.com) rather than the IP of my e-mail server, it
tries to bounce them. It appears that more modern receiving servers
recognise this problem and make the necessary adjustments to get around
it automatically. My old server, no. However, there is little doubt
about the fact that what is involved is a configuration problem on the
part of the sending server (i.e. RunRev in this case). This is proved by
the fact that I never had any problem receiving e-mails from other
sources using the same account. I still use it for all normal
communications, without any problem at all.

I put this case to RunRev, but since it had not appeared in Bugzilla and
been voted for by enough users (not true, I'm joking), they didn't want
to take it further. So to be able to receive communications reliably
from RunRev I was obliged to set up a new account using a different and
more modern service provider to get around the problem. This is why
although everybody else in the world sends their e-mails to my site at
warren at howsoft.com , everybody at Rev and on this list knows me as
robertum at brturbo.com .

Hope this helps.

Regards,