Weather Widget

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 27 23:04:24 EST 2006

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Some time back there was a brief discussion about building widget-y things
> in Rev.  Here's an example of a weather widget, not because it's never been
> done, but because it can be done. :-)
>
> Execute the following your message box:
>
>   go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/tmweather.rev"
>
> Using Yahoo Weather RSS, the stack features a translucent window with
> Web-supplied image whose display updates every 30 seconds to show current
> temperature (F or C), weather conditions, and wind data for the designated
> location.  Accepts US Zip codes or location IDs (see
> http://weather.yahoo.com/ to find non-US location IDs).
>
> Just something I've been meaning to try for a while.  New users may find
> this useful.

Wow -- this is a nice project to show my students!  The advanced ones will
eat this up!  What other fairly simple XML files are out there to parse
using RunRev?  I sense a new set of assignments in the making.....

Any pointers to other simple types of RSS would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools