Transcript and Dot Notation

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 23:26:05 EST 2006

Dot-syntax blows.  xTalk doesn't.

The problem with allowing radically different syntax conventions is
that you may soon wind up with a tool like *CENSORED*, where you can
mix and match the syntaxes of *CENSORED*, and pretty soon ask
yourself, why did I learn *CENSORED* and avoid learning *CENSORED*
when this jackass who wrote this code decided it would be fun to mix
them, which now makes my life harder?

datetime.now.asString
Come on.

In some ways xTalk was OO when it was still HT (set the visibile of
field "Oompa" to true).

Don't make me instantiate objects.  Don't make me declare variable
types.  That is SO 4GL.

Incidentially, I can't talk about many of the details of *CENSORED*
yet because it's still under wraps, but the fact that I can mix
syntaxes in the same method is certainly not one of its strong points,
IMHO.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."