Transcript and Dot Notation

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sat Feb 25 16:54:33 EST 2006

At 4:25 PM -0600 2/24/2006, Peter T. Evensen wrote:
>>send "go" to traffic light...
>
>That works for methods, but how about functions?
>
>I have never liked the current transcript syntax of
>Value("GetCurrentColor()", TrafficLight).    TrafficLight.GetColor()
>is much more readable, in my opinion.

Hmm.

   get the currentColor() of trafficLight

seems even more readable to me. Or, where trafficLight is actually a class,

   get the currentColor() of trafficLight "My Light"

(I agree that the value syntax for this is clumsy; I suspect it
doesn't come up more often as a problem mostly because people tend to
use getProp handlers for this sort of thing, rather than function
calls, so the clumsiness is avoided.)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com