Transcript and Dot Notation

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Feb 25 11:22:09 EST 2006

Hi all--except Mr. X     :{(

> So if Transcript does go object-oriented -- and I hope and believe it
> will, though it may be an alternative fork rather than a forced switch
> -- I hope it *does* in fact adopt dot notation so that all of us who
> have trained our brains to think in those terms when we create and
> program with objects will e comfortable doing so.

We have had other conversations along this line, and the thing I find
most interesting is that some of the people who readily extoll the
virtues of Xtalk syntax also take the lead in suggesting that RRLtd use
existing syntax from some other language to implement new features.

Dan wants dot notation, Richard has proposed Visual Basic syntax, some
want C notation, etc.

I want Xtalk syntax.  I want my Transcript scripts to read like a
novel; not a mathematical formula.  And I believe it is possible.

Did Winkler & Atkinson grab pieces of this syntax and that syntax from
other platforms when they created HyperTalk?  My answer: "no, they
created a logically integrated syntax that performed most of the same
functions as FORTRAN, Basic, Pascal, C, etc. in a more readable and
efficient syntax".

Suppose someone reviewed all existing programming languages, determined
which has the "best" syntax for each operation, and created a language
that combined them.  Would the result be the world's most efficient
language or an illogical nightmare?

Additionally, simply incorporating existing syntax from another
language dooms Transcript to "same-old, same-old" status and foregoes
an opportunity to make it different & better than the competition.  I
think Dan & Richard are among the best and brightest among us, and if
they were motivated they (and the rest of us) could integrate the
features they desire into an Xtalk syntax that fits logically into
Transcript.

Sure it's harder than lobbying RRLtd to adopt a syntax one already
knows; but the results, IMFO, are worth the extra effort.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company